The Guarantee Fund pays compensation to the injured persons out of the Fund for Uninsured Motor Vehicles in case of:
- material and non-material damages as a result of death or bodily injuries caused within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria by a motor vehicle that has left the scene of the accident and has not been identified (unidentified motor vehicle);
- material and non-material damages resulting from death or bodily injury and damages to another person's property, caused:
- within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, within the territory of another Member State or within the territory of a third country whose national bureau of insurers is a party to the Multilateral Agreement, by a motor vehicle usually based within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, which is not covered by compulsory Motor Third Party Liability Insurance;
- within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria or another Member State by a motor vehicle delivered to the Republic of Bulgaria by another Member State and not formally registered in the Republic of Bulgaria, provided that the event occurs within 30 days of acceptance of the motor vehicle by the acquirer and that the motor vehicle does not have the compulsory Motor Third Party Liability Insurance;
- within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, by a motor vehicle, which is usually based in a third country and for which there is no border insurance or Green Card;
- within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria by a motor vehicle, which is usually based on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria or on the territory of another Member State and the possession of which has been taken away through robbery, theft or another crime; in this case the Guarantee Fund pays compensation for the damages caused to the property of the injured parties, exceeding BGN 400.
The guarantee fund shall not pay for damage to property caused by an unidentified motor vehicle, unless significant bodily injuries have been sustained and this has necessitated hospital stay or resulted in death. In this case, the Guarantee Fund also pays compensation for damages exceeding BGN 500 and caused to the property of all persons. Significant bodily injuries are defined in the Regulation on the structure and operations of the Guarantee Fund.
The Guarantee Fund does not make payments from the Fund for Uninsured Motor Vehicles for damages suffered by a person who voluntarily traveled in a motor vehicle which they knew:
- it was acquired through theft, robbery or a crime under Art. 346 of the Criminal Code or
- it was not insured and the Guarantee Fund has proved that the person was aware of this circumstance.
The Guarantee Fund also pays indemnities under the compulsory accident insurance for passengers if the carrier did not have such insurance.
The person who wants to receive compensation is obliged to submit a written claim to the Guarantee Fund. Detailed information about the procedure and the necessary documents are given in section "Settlement of claims for material damages" and section "Settlement of claims for non-material damages"